Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Thanksgiving Recipes-Flax Stuffing

Ok so for the stuffing, I made a double batch of one minute flax muffins, minus the sweetner:

One minute muffin
1/4 cup Flax Meal
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Splenda (I used 2 tsps Wholesome organic zero) (Minus this, I added no sweetner)
1 egg
1-2 tsp butter, melted

net carbs 3 (I figure about 1 without sweetner)

Mix together the dry ingredients in a large coffee cup. Add the egg and butter, mix well. Microwave on high 50-60 seconds. The muffin pops right out! Butter and enjoy. (I used a larger square container that is bread shaped).

I cooked it, cut it into cubes, they were fairly large cubes, about 1 inch, too big in my opinion. I toasted it in a dry pan because I didn't have time to dry it out, I would think the best bet would be to toast it in the oven.

8oz sausage
2 stalks celery, diced
1tbsp dehydrated onions
1/2tbsp sage
2 tbsp butter.

Cook sausage, celery, dehydrated onions (I had no fresh), sage, butter until the sausage was done and the celery was transparent and soft. At this point you would add the flax cubes and water and put in the oven, but I don't have an oven that works, so I added some water (on thanksgiving I will add chicken broth instead of water), put on very very low, covered and let cook for about 20 minutes. That's it. The one I made had a bit of slimy texture from the flax but that's because I didn't get to dry it out all the way. It wasn't very very slimy, just left a little on your tongue after. It was very good though, and with some cranberry sauce, I think it will hit the spot. ( I'm missing something in my stuffing, if you know what flavor it is, let me know )

Ok got the approx counts for stuffing:

Per 1/6th of recipe (using 1tbsp dehydrated onion):
Cal:211, Fat:17.4g, Carb:5, Net carb-1.85g

Per 1/4th recipe:
Cal:316.5, Fat:26.1g, Carb:7.5g, Net carb-2.78g

No comments:

Post a Comment