Monday, April 26, 2010

Recipes I want to try-Cerise's Cottage Pie

This recipe is quoted from cerisedownunder from LCF.

"You'll have to excuse me because I measure everything by eye and by how it tastes and not really proper measurements!
I will just guesstimate how much I used for the pie in the photo

Cerise's Cottage Pie
Good quality, chunky beef or lamb mince (enough for 3 people)
2 diced tomatoes
1 diced onion
Tomato paste
Worcestershire sauce
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Knob of ginger, minced
1-3 fresh chillies, minced
Freshly ground salt and pepper
Chicken stock

*Fry the onion in a little olive oil or butter till it has softened then add the garlic, ginger and chillies and fry for a further minute - be careful not to let the mixture burn
*Add the mince and brown all over
*Add tomatoes, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce and seasoning then cover with chicken stock (guess you could use beef too) till it's about 1inch above the surface of the mince
*Simmer till all liquid has gone (15-20 mins or so)
DONE!

Boil cauliflower till tender (I used almost 1/2 a head), drain and mash with butter, cream and sour cream - add them gradually till you get a smooth consistency then season with salt, pepper and nutmeg
Spoon the mince mixture evenly into a deep baking dish, top with the cauliflower mash AKA natoes then finally the cheese
Grill it on a high heat till the top is bubbling and there is a bit of colour

Delicious served with a side salad or steamed veggies. Normally there are carrot & peas in the pie but I didn't use them since I'm on induction
This is a very traditional dish in the UK where I'm from - really hearty and satisying and great for reheating."

No comments:

Post a Comment