Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chicken Not Pot Pie

well, this is something I kind of threw together (using veggies I had in my fridge), so you could add anything you want really, but here's the basics:

3-4 huge boneless, skinless chicken breast (mine were frozen solid)


Boil the chicken for 1-1.5hrs on medium heat in about 5 cups of water in a huge stew pot. When they are done add:

either diced onion (i used dehydrated onion, about 2tbsp)
1tbsp garlic powder
8oz chicken stock (I use rachel ray, low in carbs and no preservatives)
1/2-1 bag baby carrots, whole
1/2 head cabbage leaves, torn into pieces
1-160z bag cauliflower
salt & pepper to taste

I let all of this cook another good 1.5-2 hours on low, at the end I added 1tsp of xanthum gum to thicken it a bit, but it really didn't need it. Oh I forgot to add I shredded the chicken in the pot before I added the other ingredients.

You don't have to cook it long like this, but I didn't feel like standing over the stove that day. This made a huge pot and I have been eating on it for days and have enough for the rest of the week.

You cold use any veggies you want, but corn and peas aren't on my eating plan so they didn't get used. The carrots weren't optional:laugh:

This really does taste like the inside of a pot pie to me.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds wonderful and I agree, carrots are not negotiable. We have always had a little carrot in dishes. Pot pie needs carrots! :)

    ReplyDelete