Monday, January 25, 2010

Cabbage Chicken Soup

This is pretty much my chicken soup recipe except it's much heartier with the cabbage. It makes 8-2 cup servings.

1 large pot water (it was about 16 cups)
3 chicken bullion cubes
5 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (cubed or put it in whole and shred later, I did the latter)
8 cups shredded green cabbage
1tsp garlic salt
1tbsp onion powder
1tbsp fresh or dried parsley (I used dried)
5 thin slices of bacon, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Put everything in the pot, the chicken I used was whole breast, frozen, and let it come to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for at least an hour. After an hour check the chicken to see how firm it is, mine was almost shreddable by this point. I let it cook for about 30 more minutes until I could shred the chicken easily with a fork, tasted for seasoning, and added a little more of this and that (onion powder and parsley).

Counts per recipe:
Cal:2496 Fat:96.8 Carb:48

Per 1/8th serving:
Cal:312 Fat:12.1 Carb:6

Edited to add (02/19/10)
I made another variation of this soup using Bok Choy instead of cabbage and also got to use actual chicken stock instead of bullion cubes. I also used some celery, carrot, onion, and garlic in the base. The counts are lower and it makes 10 servings instead of 8. I freeze them in disposable containers.








The counts for 1/10th of the recipe are:
Calories:251.4, Fat:12.46, Carbs:4.22

No comments:

Post a Comment