Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Easy Chicken and 2 Veggie Soup




Is the weather outside frightful and everyone else is eating their canned chicken noodle soup? Well I've got a quick and easy, yet satisfying soup to warm your LC spirit up! Now this is using things on hand, if I would have had it, I would have liked to use boxed chicken stock instead of bullion cubes.

1 large pot water (it was about 6-8 cups)
3-4 chicken bullion cubes
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (cubed or put it in whole and shred later, I did the latter)
4-5 large button mushrooms, sliced
4 large radish, sliced
1tbsp onion powder
1tbsp fresh or dried parsley (I used dried)
2 thin slices of bacon, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Put everything in the pot, the chicken I used was whole breast, frozen, and let it come to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for at least an hour. After an hour check the chicken to see how firm it is, mine was almost shreddable by this point. I let it cook for about 30 more minutes until I could shred the chicken easily with a fork, tasted for seasoning, and added a little more of this and that (onion powder and parsley). The seasoning measurements I gave above are not exact because I just threw some things in my pot yesterday, and adjusted the seasoning at the end. You could easily add different veggies, or change the chicken for another protein, and use whatever seasonings you want. I had just mentioned on LCF I made soup, and they asked what I used, so here it is!

Nutritional value:
Whole recipe: Cal:1430g, Fat:56g, Carb:18.8g

1/5th: Cal:286g, Fat:11.2g, Carb:3.8g
1/6th: Cal:238.3g, Fat:9.3g, Carb:3.1g

No comments:

Post a Comment