Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Glucomannan/Parmesan Rolls

This recipe comes from marcea at LCF:
Glucomannan Recipes
Post #432
I tweaked it just a bit and used 4 eggs, no water, and 1 tsp baking powder.

Ingredients:
4 Large Whole Eggs
1 TBSP Glucomannan Powder
1 Cup Kraft Parmesan Cheese (green can)
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 TSP Baking Powder
1/2 TSP Garlic Powder

This is her instructions, which I followed to the T, ver batem:
Instructions:
Beat eggs until fluffy. I use an electric mixer and just keep it running as I add ingredients.
Add oil, water, baking powder and garlic salt.
Slowly sprinkle the Glucomannan powder into the liquid while still beating. I use a seasoning shaker so I am sure that the Glucomannan gets added slowly. (If you're not careful with this step you'll get big blobs in the liquid.)
When the beater leaves "waves" in the dough, it's probably just about right. It'll be kind of the consistency of pudding..
I add the cheese last and then Cook according to Type of bread you want. (Note: I either use a non-stick spray or a non-stick pan)

For rolls - Spray non-stick spray on your hands and shape into about 12 balls. (Or drop like drop biscuits.) Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes. (Rolls actually turn out flatter and can make a good sandwich base if they are 3" diameter)

I did not form the rolls as marcea did, but I dropped spoonfulls into a muffin tin to make 12. The rose and came out like rolls just the same.

Nutrition info: Entire Recipe
Calories:890 Fat:69.4g Carbs:11.4g Fiber:7.61g Net Carbs:3.79g

Nurtition info: Per 1/12th
Calories:74.17 Fat:5.78 Carbs:.95g Fiber:0.63g Net Carbs:0.32g


This is the best bread substitute I've found that doesn't effect me negatively since starting LC. It's something I could eat every day and not see a difference in my weight loss. That's not true for me with flax, almond flour, coconut flour, or even protein powder.

6 comments:

  1. I have made these several times, and yes, they are **good**! However, if you have a blender, you can throw all the ingredients (including the glucomannan) in together, blend at moderate speed, wait a few minutes for it to thicken up, and proceed with cooking as directed.

    Much cleaner and works great! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. Looking for more glucomannan ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it. Looking for more glucomannan ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does this compare to actual bread?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How does this compare to actual bread?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the texture like?
    Can you sub almond flour for the cheese? Anyone tried it with success? Thx.

    ReplyDelete